We’re on the lookout for a Head of Energy Operations
We’re looking for an experienced candidate with a deep understanding of how electricity is metered, traded and billed to customers. Whilst we’re not a regulated supplier, we have close relationships with suppliers and we manage the purchasing of electricity for our Sero Life customers.
What we’re after
We want team players who’ll integrate well, pitch in to help others as needed, and make being at work at least something approaching fun from time to time. We’re a small but growing business, and you’ll need to be self-motivated, completely trustworthy and able to manage your own delivery to hit milestones. You’ll be flying the flag for us to partners, so being personable and a good communicator will be important. Being a bit “eco” definitely isn’t going to hurt either!
What we’ll be asking you to do
The Head of Energy Operations will be responsible for providing the utility industry knowledge and external engagement within Sero. This includes liaising with 3rd party licensed energy suppliers, Meter Operators, and developers to define key requirements and ensure that the correct processes are followed to support our business. This is a role requiring a wide skill set, but a unique opportunity to utilise your knowledge and build additional expertise within the building and home technology sectors.
As the first person to join this department, you will be expected to take a lead role in 3rd party engagement and also be up to date on the latest developments within the SMETS2 arena, as this is key to delivering the Sero business model and our aspirations in relation to flexibility and demand side response. Furthermore, you will be expected to provide clear input on industry data and how this can be utilised to provide key inputs to our app and also deliver an excellent customer experience.
- Be flexible, passionate and a team player, comfortable within a start-up environment where a ‘can do’ attitude is a must!
- Have a very good knowledge of industry processes and electricity dataflows,
- Engage with our licensed suppliers and MOPs to clearly define our requirements, both short term on specific projects and also longer term,
- Engage with developers to ensure their requirements are clearly understood and that deadlines can be achieved,
- Support internally with electricity & gas industry knowledge, which may relate to customer experience, specific elements of T&Cs or setting tariffs,
- Look to improve your knowledge in relation to smart metering and the capability this can deliver to the Sero business model,
- Always ensure we are aware of regulatory and compliance issues affecting us.
What about skills & qualifications?
- At least 3 years experience in metering or an operations role in the electricity industry,
- Preferably a knowledge of SMETS2 meters, but definitely SMETS1 experience,
- An understanding and/or interest in technologies, especially around renewable energy would be beneficial,
- Operational knowledge, but also be customer focused.
- Experience with Demand Side Response and flexibility would be beneficial.
What’s in it for you?
Diversity We actively look to reflect the variety of our world and welcome the widest diversity of applicants – it’s only your talent and experience that matters.
Permanent We’re a growing SME and see this role as a permanent member of our growing team. We’ve got lots of plans up our sleeves for exciting new things!
Working Hours We’re looking for about 37 hours a week for this role – what would generally be called Full Time. How that breaks into days or a working pattern is up to you.
Working Times Our policy allows working anywhere at anytime, ultimate flexibility. We’d like at least some of your working hours to be coordinated with other internal and external team members to ensure we’re being efficient and communicating effectively. We think work should fit your lifestyle, so you can work when you can be most efficient!
Location We’d like to see you in our Cardiff city centre offices often enough for you to be able to do the job effectively, integrate our ethos and work with the team. But otherwise, we’re focused on you doing the work, not where you choose to do it. We’re fully set up for virtual working!
Salary We’ll be competitive (of course). This also depends on what we agree between is your preferred weekly total hours.
Perks You’re helping save the planet!
Also, 6% pension contribution from us; healthcare with family & dental options; electric vehicle scheme; equity scheme; cycle to work scheme; training & development support of course; office fruit bowl & refreshments!
Who are we?
Sero was founded to make a connection between homes and energy, and to use technology to make both these easier and smarter together. We do this to save our customers money and to save them time, but we also do it to save our planet. To tackle the Climate Emergency, we provide clever energy services that automatically reduces the carbon footprint of the homes we run. To do this, we work with other home builders and landlords to help them understand what to do with their buildings to achieve this. We also try and lead by example, so through our sister company Sero Homes we build true zero carbon homes, set in ecologically vibrant spaces and places (there’s a and Biodiversity Crisis too!), so that our homes help to build a community.
If you think we’re a match, please get in touch! We’d like a C.V., but send it with a covering note too please that tells us why you’d be our perfect fit for our team. Your note can be a letter, email, video snippet, go crazy, give us a little bit of your character…